Programs and Courses
The CWE coordinates six types of programs and their related courses:
- Undergraduate Writing Program consists of Expository Writing Courses such as first-year composition (English 101), sophomore composition English 102, and Advanced Composition (English 201).
- The Creative Writing Program consists of courses in fiction, nonfiction and poetry. The department currently offers an undergraduate major concentration, a minor, and an MFA in creative writing.
- The Professional Writing and Editing Program offers courses in writing for business, industry and science. We currently offer a minor/concentration for undergraduates and an MA in professional writing and editing.
- The Distance Writing Program offers a selection of online expository and professional writing courses for adult learners who may be constrained by time or geographic distance.
- The WVU Writing Center mission is to help students become better writers. It exists to help students succeed by providing a supportive environment where students can develop knowledge, reflect on their work and build confidence.
- The National Writing Project at WVU is a collaborative program that improves student writing by forging links between universities and K-12 school systems.