M.A. Program Requirements for Admission:
Most students admitted to the M.A. program in English have completed an undergraduate degree in English or an allied field with a record of academic distinction. The application to the M.A. program requires a 3.0 mimimum GPA, Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Aptitude Test scores, taken within the last five years, at or above the 60th percentile on the verbal and analytical scales; a strong writing sample of critical work from an undergraduate class; three letters of recommendation; and a personal statement that addresses your reasons for pursuing a Masters degree and, if you are applying for a graduate teaching assistantship, your potential as a teacher. Non-native English speakers must present TOEFL scores of at least 550 for the written exam or at least 213 for the on-line version.
The graduate application deadline is January 15th.
The following materials should be submitted online through the University Graduate Online Application:
- Graduate Admission Application
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- Personal Statement (300-600 words for a research statement alone or 600-1000 words for a research and teaching statement) This should address your reasons for pursuing a Masters degree in English (and, if you are applying for a GTA position, your potential as a teacher).
- Writing Sample: an 8-10 page paper featuring a critical analysis of a literary or cultural text (film graphic novel), supported by secondary research. (This can be uploaded in the Supplemental Materials section of the application.)
In addition, applications require:
- 3.0 minimum GPA
- GRE General Aptitude Test Scores (GRE/TOEFL Code: 5904)
- Official Transcripts (which should be sent to: Office of Graduate Admissions and Recruitment, West Virginia University, P.0. Box 6510, Morgantown, WV 26506-6510)