Ph.D. Application Information
Requirements for Admission:
The Doctoral Program admits students with a Master’s degree in English or a related field. Applicants to the Ph.D. program are admitted based on their academic record (3.0 minimum GPA required), three letters of recommendation from former teachers, a personal statement about research interests and teaching experience, and a sample of their academic writing. In addition applicants must submit their score on the Graduate Record Examination General Aptitude Test (at or above the 60th percentile on the verbal and analytical scales) taken within the last five years. Non-native English speakers must present TOEFL scores of at least 550 for the written exam or at least 213 for the on-line version.
The graduate application deadline is January 15th.
The following materials should be submitted online through the University Graduate Online Application:
- Graduate Admission Application
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- Personal Statement (600-1000 words) This should address, in roughly equal proportions, both your research interests and your experience and potential as a teacher.
- Writing Sample (a 20-25 page research paper) (This can be uploaded in the Supplemental Materials section of the application.)
In addition, applications require:
- GRE General Aptitude Test Scores (GRE/TOEFL Code: 5904)
- Official Transcripts (which should be sent to: Graduate Admissions, Office of Admissions, West Virginia University, P.0. Box 6009, Morgantown, WV 26506)