Program in English at WVU provides a strong sense of community among faculty
and students and a wide range of research opportunities in literary and
cultural studies as well as professional and creative writing. Our low
faculty-graduate student ratio (about 3:1) encourages both formal and informal collaborations.
Most of the
students admitted to graduate studies in English at WVU are fully funded
with graduate teaching assistantships.
The graduate application deadline is January 15th.
The following materials should be submitted through the University Graduate Application:
- Graduate Admission Application
- Writing Sample
- Personal Statement
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- Non-native English speakers must present TOEFL Scores
In addition, applications require:
- GRE General Aptitude Test Scores (WVU’s GRE Code is 5904)
- Applicants are encouraged to submit their application with unofficial transcripts from all previously attended institutions. Submitting unofficial transcripts speeds up the application review process as most graduate programs make admission decisions using unofficial transcripts. If you are offered acceptance, you are required to submit official transcripts from all previously attended institutions to be fully admitted into your intended graduate program. You will not be able to register for classes until the official transcripts are received. (https://graduateadmissions.wvu.edu/how-to-apply/apply-for-2020-2021/first-time-graduate-applicant)
- The preferred method to submit your official transcripts is through a secure, online service such as eScript, The National Clearing House, or Parchment, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, if you are unable to submit an electronic version of your official transcript, the physical,sealed, un-tampered with documents can be mailed to: WVU Graduate Admissions, P.O. Box 6510, Morgantown, WV 26506 OR WVU Graduate Admissions 1 Waterfront Pl, 2nd Fl, Morgantown, WV 26501
For more information about our specific programs, see the English Graduate Student Handbook.