AdmissionMost students admitted to the M.A. program in English have completed an undergraduate degree in English or an allied field with a record of academic distinction. The Graduate Program recognizes, however, that not all people fit this profile and welcomes applications from individuals who can make a strong case that they will succeed in the M.A. program. The applicant must supply the following:
- academic transcripts from all postsecondary institutions;
- a strong sample of critical writing in literary or cultural studies (approx. 8-10 pp.);
- three letters of recommendation; and
- a statement of purpose (approx. 1-2 pp).
Applicants who have been away from school for a long period of time may wish to use the statement of purpose, in part, to explain their decision to return for an advanced degree in English. The M.A. Admissions Committee is responsible for evaluating all application materials and for making admissions decisions.
Please note: applicants who hold only a B.A. degree but intend to pursue a Ph.D. at WVU should apply directly to the Ph.D. program.
The graduate application deadline is January 5th.
The following materials should be submitted through the University Graduate Application:
- Graduate Admission Application
- Writing Sample
- Personal Statement
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- Non-native English speakers must present TOEFL Scores
In addition, applications require:
- Applicants are encouraged to submit their application with unofficial transcripts from all previously attended institutions. Submitting unofficial transcripts speeds up the application review process as most graduate programs make admission decisions using unofficial transcripts. If you are offered acceptance, you are required to submit official transcripts from all previously attended institutions to be fully admitted into your intended graduate program. You will not be able to register for classes until the official transcripts are received. (https://graduateadmissions.wvu.edu/how-to-apply/apply-for-2020-2021/first-time-graduate-applicant)
- The preferred method to submit your official transcripts is through a secure, online service such as eScript, The National Clearing House, or Parchment, to email@example.com. Alternatively, if you are unable to submit an electronic version of your official transcript, the physical,sealed, un-tampered with documents can be mailed to: WVU Graduate Admissions, P.O. Box 6510, Morgantown, WV 26506 OR WVU Graduate Admissions 1 Waterfront Pl, 2nd Fl, Morgantown, WV 26501
For additional information about the M.A. Program, please contact Dr. Adam Komisaruk, M.A. Program Coordinator.