Catherine Gouge teaches courses in Rhetoric, the Writing of Health and Medicine, Professional Writing and Editing, Multimedia Writing, and Writing Pedagogy. Her current research explores textual and rhetorical practices in health and medicine.
- Medical Rhetoric
- Science and Technology Studies
- Professional Writing and Editing
- Writing Pedagogy
Special Issues Edited:Wearable Rhetorics: Bodies, Cities, Collectives. Special Issue of Rhetoric Society Quarterly, co-edited with John Jones. 46(3). June 2016.
The Communication Design of Wearable Technologies in Health and Medicine. Special Issue of Communication Design Quarterly, co-edited with John Jones. Forthcoming Dec 2017.
Recent and Forthcoming Publications:
- “Health Humanities Baccalaureate Programs and Writing Studies: History, Disciplinarity, Best Practices. Technical Communication Quarterly, special issue on Medical Rhetoric and the Medical Humanities. Forthcoming Spring 2018.
- “Theory-Building in the Rhetoric of Health and Medicine,” with J. Blake Scott. Reinventing (with) Theory in Rhetoric and Writing Studies: Essays in Honor of Sharon Crowley. Eds. Judy Holiday, Andrea Alden, Kendall Gerdes, and Ryan Skinnell. Forthcoming Spring 2018.
- “‘No Single Path’: Making Sense of Patient Noncompliance,” Advancing Methods and Methodologies in the Rhetorics of Health and Medicine, Eds. Lisa Meloncon and J. Blake Scott, Routledge. In Press. Forthcoming Spring 2018.
- “'The Inconvenience of Meeting You': Rereading Non/Compliance, Enabling Care,” Feminist Rhetorical Science Studies, Eds. Amanda K. Booher and Julie Jung, Southern Illinois UP. In Press. Forthcoming Spring 2018.
- “Communication Design and Wearables Technologies in Health and Medicine,” with John Jones. Communication Design Quarterly. Forthcoming Dec 2017.
- “Health Applications and Wearable Technologies,” with John Jones and Mariah Crilley, Communication Design Quarterly, Forthcoming Spring 2017.
- “Improving Patient Discharge Communication,” Journal of Technical Writing and Communication. Available Online, not yet assigned to issue.
- “’Getting the Knowledge Right’: Patient Communication, Agency, and Knowledge,” Journal of Medical Humanities. Available Online, not yet assigned to issue.
- “Wearable Technologies, Wearing, and the Rhetorics that Attend to Them,” with John Jones. Rhetoric Society Quarterly, 46(3). June 2016.